The Brat Fights the Fat

February 28, 2006

Is it really only Tuesday?

I dragged my ass out of bed this morning and got my workout in. Not only that, but I fought the fear demon and won. See, I discovered last fall that I really enjoy running (who knew!), but everytime I started to make some progress and see some results I would have a setback. I was just learning to run and did all the right things. Bought the proper shoes. Joined a Running Room Clinic on learning to run. Started slow (run 1 min, walk 2) and slowly built up (run 2, walk 1). The first clinic, on week 3, I got a knee injury and was told to no running for 3 weeks. Of course, the class went on without me and I had to drop out.

Once my knees healed and while I was waiting for the next class, I started running on the athletic track near the high school. Started back at scratch and slowly began to build back up. I was so excited! The next RR clinic came and I rejoined. Feeling great, excited because I was no longer at the back of the class. By the second week, I started to develop shin splints. By the 3 week, I could barely walk. Back to the doctor (sorry, new to exercise.... I didn't even know what shin splints were, let alone what to do about them). Again, I had to wait and drop out of the clinic.

Since then, I've been almost afraid to try again. I know it's not logical and that the best thing I could do is get back on the horse, but in the back of my mind... what if I get hurt again? what if I just can't run? Well, this morning... I started running on the treadmill. Not as good as outside (but it's really cold outside at 6 am right now), but I did it. It felt good. I felt strong. The funny part... I meant to start back at the beginning (walk 2, run 1), but was still asleep this morning and mix my numbers up. Yup, I ran 2, walked 1. And I did it. And I can wait to do it again. Woohoo! Now, if only I was doing better with the whole water/sleep goal thing.

Menu so Far:
Breakfast
Oatmeal (3)
OJ (2)
Snack #1

Water: 0.5L/2L
AP: 3
WP: 5/39

posted by Krista at 8:00 AM

5 Comments:

Wow! Good for you. I would love to be a runner.

8:31 AM  

I want to be a runner but with the crap weather out I need to get a treadmill and right now I can't afford one :(

Fantastic job on running 2 and walking 1!!!

9:43 AM  

That's so great! Running changed my life... cold in Vancouver? Haha! Oh you are all such wusses (and I know I used to live there).

4:38 PM  

just looking at your goals..you are wanting breast reduction surgery eh?? I had that done when I was 26 years old. I wasn't overweight either, they were just HUGE! I don't regret the decision either, it made such a difference. I found it so shocking how much smaller I looked after I had it done. I started as a double D and they went down to a C, which is perfect.

8:16 AM  

Thanks everyone!

While I'm terrified about getting the surgery, I'm definitely looking forward to a smaller perkier me. I'm a 38 H right now and being a C sounds lovely. Everyone I talked to who's had it done, were happy they'd done it.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home